3.8.10

Winter Holiday

S2 Week __

During the winter holiday, I went back to Malaysia for a short break to visit dad and mom.
I managed to fit into my travel itinerary a day of educational tour to Kuala Lumpur.

I started my day with the Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia. There were quite a wide range of exhibits includes Islamic Architecture. There were nothing much that I could gain and I couldn't access the scholar library.

Here are some of the models:
Mecca
A fountain replica
Regional mosque: the roof is inspired by the vernacular architecture of the tropical region which allows natural ventilation
After the disappointing museum visit, I continued my tour to the National Mosque of Malaysia. Built in 1965, Masjid Negara is nestled within the buzzing city of Kuala Lumpur. The modern geometrical inspired roof and minaret symbolize the aspiration of the newly independent country, Malaysia. I like the idea of developing a new Mosque architectural language that is sensitive to its context and avoid any mere mimication.

Burial ground beside the Mosque, protected peacefully by a beautiful floating geometrical roof.
The mosque is generously spacious but not over empowering. The hypostyle columns reminded me of palm tree estate which allows air to breath through and at the same time shade me from the hot tropical sun. The spatial experience is quite invigorating.
The 18 pointed star concrete roof
Concrete jali screens

Soon, I was kindly asked to leave the mosque as the prayers were started. This puzzled me a little; here we are in a multicultural country and yet such a distinction/restriction is placed upon non-Muslims for not able to experience the Islamic prayers. Religious activities should be shared and extended to everyone. This is not to proselyte but to encourage mutual understanding, or else how can we be integrated?

Opposite the Mosque is the National train office building. The building was built in the early 20th century and it is a agglomeration of Islamic architectural style (and Gothic too).

Side facade of the building
The main entrance
The Kuala Lumpur train station opposite.
Beautiful Mughal inspired architecture.
Travel-book

While I was travelling, I also read Nomad (below) by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Initially I was a little worried reading this infidel book in Malaysia but I overcame that fear *victory*.
The book was good; it exposed myself to many facets of Islam and its arrival into the western world. In this book she spoke about her life experience as an asylum seeker from Somalia, her family and her enlightenment. She argues that the doctrine of this religion is fundamentally wrong and it infringes human rights (especially women). For Ayaan there is hardly any no room for reformation. Contrary to what she is propagating, there are many western Islam reformists that believe the doctrine needs to be re-contextualized and reread with a contemporary lenses.


3 comments:

  1. very nicee photos lino...love the concrete screenss

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, thanks!! it's photoshop'ed! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. can u upload drawings of the final product? i'd love to take a look

    ReplyDelete